Daily Show Purim (exactly a year ago!)
So they were filming something about Rutgers University and need a place to film the interview. The story was about how the policy that students of the investigative journalism class are not allowed to do research on Rutgers was instated AFTER a student proved that the Atletics department got treated special. Stu Miller (the producer/director) choose the university hotel I worked in for the interview but at the last minute decided to film a little bit when Ed Helms barges in on the Rutgers Athletics Dept.At first they asked the Hotel's conference coordinator if she would play the role of the Athletic Dept Secretary but for university politics reason's she couldn't. So I was called in (thank good I was wearing makeup!) and 15 minutes later they were filming. It took 8 takes for them to be satisfied (I did it differently each time - one time I said a lot, one time I just stared blankly) but they were really nice about it and had tons of suggestions. The first time I couldn't stop smiling. They were great about thinking of new ideas quickly - good with the improv and keeping it real. In the end the picked the last shot where Helms barges in asking to speak to the Athletic Chair and I turn all freaked out and say "Um...he's in a meeting right now" That was it. 30 seconds took 30 minutes to film.
Afterwords, I talked a bit with Ed Helms and Stu Miller. Shallow stuff - you know, small talk. Nothing hilarious but not dull either. Helms was really normal, down-to-earth. Stu had me sign a Waiver and gave me his card. And that was it. They told me it would be shown a week form that day so I of course told everyone one I know to watch.
And as things happened I wasn't bumped once but twice! Bush did too many stupid things in that week I guess. By the time they showed it, I think my friends and family were getting feed up watching it at 11pm each night. I kept on taping it. Wednesday I was disappointed again until (over the phone) a friend screamed that she saw me! I was the trailer for the next days show. And Jon Stewart laughed. Mind you it was Helms who was actually being funny and it coulda been a fake laugh - but being the trailer and all the TV spots all day has got to mean something? Right? The following night, when it was actually on was Purim, so I watched during a drunken party. So did a lot of people apparently including a relative I didn't know went to RU and some acquaintances I didn't tell to watch. Totally bizarre. I got a crazy amount of emails.
The best part of the program wasn't me but Ed Helms questioning the existence of a Rutgers Athletics Dept. He dissed my school on TV!!!! Peoples' reactions were varied (from congrats, to humor, to disgust) and I got a reputation as "the Daily Show Chick" for awhile. It was quite the experience!
Check it out at:
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=124195&title=censor-deprivation
| Censor Deprivation | ||||
| ||||


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home